Californium-252 is used to inspect airline luggage for hidden explosives...
to gauge the moisture content of soil in the road construction and building
and to measure the moisture of materials stored in silos.
"The 1995 update to the atomic mass evaluation" by G.Audi and A.H.Wapstra,
Nuclear Physics A595 vol. 4 p.409-480, December 25, 1995.
- Atomic Mass: 252.0816196 +- 0.0000055 amu
- Excess Mass: 76028.139 +- 5.095 keV
- Binding Energy: 1881274.575 +- 5.106 keV
- Beta Decay Energy: B- -1260.000 +- 50.000 keV
R.R.Kinsey, et al.,The NUDAT/PCNUDAT Program for Nuclear Data,paper submitted to the 9 th International Symposium of Capture-Gamma_raySpectroscopy and Related Topics, Budapest, Hungary, Octover 1996.Data extracted from NUDAT database (Jan. 14/1999)
- Spin: 0+
- Half life: 2.645 years
- Mode of decay: Alpha to Cm-248
- Branch ratio: 96.91 %
- Decay energy: 6.217 MeV
- Mode of decay: SF
- Possible parent nuclides:
- Electron capture from Es-252
- Alpha from Fm-256